Culinard chef instructors share diverse talents with their communities and the world
Oct 25, 2011
Birmingham: Culinard, the Culinary Institute of Virginia College recently participated in the "March of Dimes Presents Signature Chefs of Birmingham" event at Workplay. Guests had the opportunity to taste some of the city's best cuisine while helping to save precious lives.
Crabcake Sliders with Japanese Mayonnaise was the signature dish that Chef Tyessea Mosley and the culinary students served at the event.
Richmond: Chef Michael McGhee recently created a seven–course dinner for a charity event to benefit Greater Richmond SCAN (Stop Child Abuse Now).
The Italian–themed event attracted over 175 people and helped raise over $500,000 for the charity. The celebrity chef was Mike Isabella, runner–up winner on Top Chef's season 8 All–Stars.
Mobile: Career honors and practical experience are plentiful for these chef instructors, including:
Jason Lafferty, Program Director
- Selected as top candidate for Tianjin China's Marriot School of Management, Food Service Management Instructor and Graduate Assistant scholar
- Served as board member, South Beach Food and Wine Festival sponsored by Food and Wine Magazine and the Food Network
- Helped present "Demystifying Seafood of the Gulf Coast" at the Smithsonian Institute and Museum in Washington D.C.
- Cooked for celebrities such as Will Smith, Jack Nicholson, Hootie and the Blowfish and John Mayer
- Worked with James Beard Best Chef Award winners Ken Vedrinski, Robert Carter, Robert Wagner, Sean Brock and Craig Diehl
- Served in the United States Marine Corps for 8 Years
- Studied in France at the Academie Culinaire du Doubs and Institut Paul Bocuse in Lyon
- Head Chef, Bourbon Street Hideaway, Fort Wayne Indiana
- Owner and Executive Chef at Mary's Place Seafood Restaurant, Mobile
- General Manager at Camilles Sidewalk Café, Mobile
- Worked his way up to two executive chef positions in Greensboro, NC while attending the University of North Carolina at Greensboro.
- Graduated from the Culinary Institute of America, Hyde Park, NY
- Worked as chef at Vinocity Wine Bar and Restaurant, Atlanta
- Executive Chef at Sweet Lowdown, Atlanta
- Served in various chef positions at Whole Foods Market grocery chain